Well Then...


Photobucket

Visitors

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Evicted

So yesterday I went to check on the baby bunnies, as I do somewhat frequently, and they were not home. This was the second day in a row that they were not home when I investigated. I'm not sure if they moved out or what, but I decided that if they were mobile enough to be not there two days in a row that they were going to be evicted. I removed the upper portion of their nest so basically all the have is their dirt floor now. A little bit rude, I must admit, but my lettuce will thank me.

Speaking of lettuce, we may have a problem. And speaking of problems, the peas may have one too. I've heard they don't do so well in extreme heat. Its still may, and yet the next week's forecast is all upper eighties and into the nineties, with heat index of over 100. My peas haven't even started forming blossoms yet, but I'm sure this won't help. And the lettuce is maybe just going to wilt away and die. Not cool weatherman, not cool.

To look on the bright side (there is always a bright side) the tomatoes will love it. They've not been growing too fast but I'm feeling like they're about to shoot up now and start that foot-a-day growth program they were on last year. The beans still haven't sprouted which surprises me. I'm hoping when I go look in on the garden today they will have done that because I want some beans!

Also, I bought the book Backyard Homestead which looks like it will be pretty helpful. It shows you how on a sunny quarter acre you can grow: 50 pounds of wheat, 60 pounds of fruit, 2000 pounds of vegetables, 280 pounds of pork, and 75 pounds of nuts. Double your land to 1/2 acre and raise three goats and a cow. I'm not sure how much meat you can get from a cow but I'm sure its quite a lot. It also teaches you how to "cook, preserve, cure, brew, or pickle the fruits of your labor." Sounds nice for someone that just planted their first -ever potatoes, lettuce, peas, beans, and carrots. I'd like to raise a pig or some chickens but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly with the parents.

Anyway, I'm avoiding my psych project so I should probably go.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment