Well Then...


Photobucket

Visitors

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Bright Side

As I predicted, or rather crossed my fingers for, the tomatoes and peppers are enjoying this heat. I'm pretty sure the pepper I planted from seed, called Fish, has doubled in size in about a week. I think it is time to kill its seed-starter-cup-mate. The friend is much more attractive, with lots more variegation, but it seems to have a problem growing. All of its leaves are oddly deformed and it grows much slower. I think I'll just have to deal with the not-so-variegated pepper plant. I prefer a handsome plant that actually makes peppers to a seductively striped one. Adios, shmexy. So far the lettuce and peas are doing alright. I rigged up some sun shades for them and have been misting them before school and after school. The lettuce of course practically wilts into the ground while I'm gone which might be bad for flavor and general lettucey happiness, but at least they haven't died. I did find an invader though. Some narsty little caterpillar, surely not for a good butterfly species, was hiding in one of my romaines. It had poop all over the place and was just sulking in there. I attacked it with my hose's jet function and intend to remove it. I am a believer in monarch butterflies and swallowtails and all, but this caterpillar reeked of badness. If it is a good one that'll be a bummer, but at least its only one of them. If I find more I will be upset.

I really want peas. I've heard that homegrown peas, like most other homegrowns, are far superior to their supermarket counterparts. I just hope we get some. And also: beans. We may have a problem with some in the earthbox. They sort of got stuck under the black cover thing and may day. I rescued them yesterday and they looked fine but today they look pretty brown. Some are okay, but some, well, not so much. We'll give them a few days before we sound the replanting alarm. The carrots are looking good, both the ones that sprouted in, yes, seven days in the earthbox, and the ones I planted awhile ago with the peas. Its funny to see the difference between the peas and carrots. The carrots have maybe 3 real leaves on them so far, the peas are about three feet tall. Exaggeration, yes, but they are growing really nicely. The potatoes are still the superstars though. They actually are three feet tall and look like maybe they'll flower soon, surely they can't grow much bigger. They must really love this compost they're growing in. The potatoes up in the reject plot look much wimpier. They did sit around inside longer and get a shady area, but still. I like to think the compost was a good idea despite contrary advice.

Probably the most exciting thing right now is school. I have 2 more days and then I am done with JFK High School forever. Just have to graduate this Friday and I can walk away and never look back. I really hate high school. SO much drama and lameness. And the 'rents sort of get annoying around the house as well. I am ready for a roomie that hopefully won't be creepy and we can be best friends and call each other "mate" and whatnot. It'll be a blast. Anyway, all you people out there (Chuckle, chuckle, nobody reads this. story of my life) have a fantastic end of May.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment